Aberdeen & Highland editions available – we will deliver the edition local to you
The Press and Journal is published in Aberdeen and has the highest circulation of Scottish newspapers. It has four editions for Aberdeenshire, Highlands & Islands, Moray and North East.
The Press and Journal is a daily regional newspaper serving northern and highland Scotland including the cities of Aberdeen and Inverness. Established in 1747, it is Scotland’s oldest daily newspaper and one of the longest-running newspapers in the world.
The newspaper was first published as a weekly title, Aberdeen’s Journal, on 29 December 1747. In 1748 it changed its name to the Aberdeen Journal. It was published on a weekly basis for 128 years until August 1876, when it became a daily newspaper.
The newspaper was owned by the Chalmers family throughout the nineteenth century, and edited by members of the family until 1849, when William Forsyth became editor. Its political position was Conservative.
In November 1922, the paper was renamed The Aberdeen Press and Journal when its parent firm joined forces with the Free Press.